Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sunday Harvest and Custard Pie

Double post today.

First the harvest.  A couple weeks ago, I stopped picking the peas and left some pods on the vines to get nice and plump.  Yesterday I pulled the plants up and left them to dry in the beautiful sun.  I'm hoping to dry the peas to use for seed next year.  I planted the rest of the seeds so here's to hoping for another crop of delicious peas in the fall.

The kale is still going strong so I harvest those as needed, and we've been eating a lot of green salads to hopefully make a dent in the lettuce crop.  Though bitter when it gets picked, it loses its bitterness if left to chill in the fridge overnight in some water.  This sun is going to make them bolt soon, which will make this tactic useless.  The chickens don't care about the bitterness so they'll get a lot.

So, not a very exciting harvest this week, next week I'm hoping to have a zucchini or two to show you.

And now for PIE.  I love pie.

It was my sister's birthday yesterday, and since my dad is making a cake tonight, I decided to make a pie for her.  Fruit pie is good, but nothing beats a slice of cold, egg custard pie on a summer evening.  So that's what I made.

My chicken glass wants some.
Ingredients (for a 9-inch pie pan)

*5 eggs
*3/4 cup sugar
*3 1/2 cups milk
*1 1/4 tsp vanilla
*1/2 tsp salt (heaping)
*1/4 tsp cinnamon (heaping)

*A single pie crust

Heat the oven to 450.  Beat all the ingredients together.  Put the pie crust into the oven then pour the egg/milk mixture into the pan.  Believe me, don't pour it in the pan then try to put it in the oven, way too scary because the mix will fill it to the brim.  Bake at 450 for 20 minutes, then lower oven temp to 350 and bake another 20 minutes or so until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.  It won't look finished, but if the knife comes out clean, it's done.

Chill, and enjoy!  mmmmm...

Happy 80-degrees day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...