Saturday, January 5, 2013

Post Holiday Detox: The First 48

Yep, this is hard.  Shawn is taking a nap, trying to sleep off the caffeine deprivation hangover, and I have to use all my willpower to stay out of the kitchen before I eat something that will undo all the work I've put in so far.  Each time I close my eyes, all I see is cake.

Sigh.

I think I'm going to go through the various meals we've had so far and rate them so that if you, my dear readers, decide to go through this, will be better equipped to do it in a way to minimize suffering.  All my recipes have been coming from two different websites.  I've included my recipes below, but all the originals can be found here and here.  Oh, and all the recipes make 2 servings, except for the squash soup, that makes about 5.

So we didn't have to start by jumping into a full day, we started with dinner on Wednesday:

Butternut Squash Soup
Ingredients
1 large butternut squash
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic
3 carrots
2 apples
2 cups vegetable broth
3 cups water
1 tsp nutmeg
herbs of your choice (I used cayenne, thyme, and sage)
salt and pepper to taste

Peel and chop the squash, apples and carrots into bite sized pieces.  Mince the onion and toss into a soup pot with a dash of olive oil.  Saute for a few minutes then add the garlic.  Add the liquids and bring to a boil.  Boil the squash, carrots, and apple for about 10 minutes.  Add the herbs and spices and let simmer until the veggies are tender.  Then, blend with an immersion blender until smooth. 

The Result:  This was really good.  I often make butternut squash soup and add sour cream but this really didn't need it.  We were a bit sad to not have a large slice of crusty rustic bread to go with it, but as a first meal for our detox, we really couldn't complain.

Thursday

Start the day off first thing with a cup of warm lemon water.  This gets your digestive juices going (or so I've read), and it's good to rehydrate after 8 hours of no liquid intake.

Breakfast: Mixed Berry Smoothie
Ingredients
1 cup frozen mixed berries
2 cups almond milk
2 scoops/2 servings green power powder*
1 tbs almond butter

*This can be found in the supplements section in a grocery store.  There are several different brands, I had to go with the only one that my particular store carried.

Blend everything together in a blender and enjoy.

The Result:  This is also really good.  I've never had almond milk before because I really hate soy milk, which put me off of all alternative milks.  But the almond flavor is awesome and the berries are good too.  We'll be having this again.

We're drinking a lot of our meals these days.
 Lunch: Salad with Carrot Ginger Dressing
Ingredients
For dressing: 
1 large carrot
1 small shallot
1 tbs chopped ginger
2 tbs white miso
2 tbs rice wine vinegar
1 tbs sesame oil
2 tbs cup grapeseed oil
2 tbs water

Blend all ingredients together in blender till smooth.  The salad can be made up of any pile of greens.  To that, top with a half an avocado, and some thinly sliced red onion.  Pour on the dressing and enjoy.

The review:  Holy hell.  I made this exactly as it said to in the website and it was not good.  Well, I could tell that it could have been good, but it BURNED.  We both barely finished the salad and we were crying at the end.  The above ingredient amounts are what I would do if I made it again.  It has half the shallots and ginger, and twice the avocado.  The original says to top the salad with a half an onion, which was WAY too much.  So I would make this again since the general flavor of the dressing was super delicious, just a bit too spicy.

For snack we've been snacking on satsumas.  They're good and though they aren't much, it helps to take care of the edge between meals.  A mug of hot tea helps with hunger too.

Dinner: Broccoli Spinach Soup with Some Arugula
Ingredients
1 large head of broccoli
1 clove garlic
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 yellow onion
1 cup vegetable stock
1.5 cups water
1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper
a large handful of spinach or arugula or another leafy green of your choice
a smaller handful of sun dried tomatoes chopped

Saute the onion for a few minutes and add the garlic.  Chop the broccoli and add to the onions.  Saute for about 8 minutes.  Add the liquids and bring to a boil.  Simmer until the broccoli is tender, then add the greens until they are wilted.  Use your handy friend the immersion blender and blend until smooth.  Sprinkle the sun dried tomatoes in and enjoy.

The review:  This was better than I thought.  It doesn't have too much substance so you get hungry quite quickly, but we are making it again when we can have bread and some cheese.  I added the tomatoes to make it more interesting, but I've read in some websites that you should avoid nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers, etc.), but there are some recipes that include bell peppers, so I'm assuming some is ok.

Though I doubt we're allowed to have dessert during a detox, our neighbor gave us some pomegranates so we allowed ourselves a bit of a before bed snack.  C'mon, it's just high antioxidant juice, after all.

Friday

Started the day off again with another mug of warm lemon water.

Breakfast: Green Peach Smoothie
Ingredients
1 cup of frozen peaches
3 leaves of kale
1/2 avocado
1.5 cups almond milk
1/2 cup coconut milk

Blend together in a blender till smooth and enjoy.

The review:  This was ok.  The original recipe called for mango, which I understand since it has a stronger flavor.  The peach flavor was completely taken over by the avocado and kale.  It tastes green and it's a bit hard to drink.  But it's not horrible, and by this time we were pretty hungry so we gulped it down to get the hunger pangs to go away.  If I were to make it again, I would use mangoes.

Lunch: Garbanzo Bean Salad
Ingredients
1 can garbanzo beans
1/2 cup each of chopped carrots, celery, and bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped red onion
a handful of chopped cilantro
a handful of chopped scallions
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp rice vinegar
a pinch of salt
pepper to taste

Toss together and refrigerate overnight.

The review:  Once again, too many red onions.  I've halved it above.  It was ok, but I'm not a huge fan of beans or cilantro so this wasn't the best in my opinion.  But, the beans really help to keep you full so that's really nice on this day 2 of a 4-day healthy eating hunger marathon.

Satsumas for snack again. They're really good.

Dinner:  Leftover Butternut Squash Soup  (still delicious, and filling)

Dessert:  The other half of that pomegranate we started yesterday.

We're also drinking lots of herbal tea in between meals, which helps in curbing hunger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...