Sunday, January 6, 2013

Post Holiday Detox: The Final 48 (or more like 40)

Here we are, at the end of the detox.  We made it most of the way, three and two thirds days out of four, but pretty good, I think.  We didn't do exactly what the two websites told us to do, but I think we stuck to it pretty well so we feel pretty good about ourselves.

Oh, and here are the two websites again, where I got the original recipes:
http://goop.com/journal/make/15/detox
http://theorganicbeautyblog.com/2012/01/02/4-day-post-holiday-cleanse/

Saturday

Breakfast:  Mixed Berry Smoothie (same as Thursday breakfast)

Way better than that bad kale smoothie we had on Friday.  I substituted a half cup of coconut milk for some of the almond milk and it was just as good as before.

Lunch:  Brown Rice Stir Fry
Ingredients
2 cups of brown rice cooked 
1 zucchini
2 carrots
1 clove garlic
1 tbs grapeseed oil
2 tbs organic tamari

Saute the vegetables and garlic in the grapeseed oil for about 10 minutes.  Toss with 1 tbs of the tamari when they are done cooking.  Toss the rest of the tamari in with the rice.  Top the rice with the veggies and enjoy.

The review:  Oh man, this was like eating real food.  It was so delicious.  At this point in the cleanse we haven't really had any carbs so this was a major life saver and moral booster.  I just wish we could have eaten more.  Shawn asked if he could have seconds and I had to sadly say no... though I caught him in the kitchen later stealing a mouthful of rice.  Poor guy.

Dinner:  Miso Soup
Ingredients
4 cups of water
a handful of bonito fish flakes
a handful of kale torn into bite sized pieces
3 dried shiitake mushrooms
4 tbs of miso
a pinch of dried wakame
1/2 block of silken tofu

Heat the water in a small soup pot until bubbles form around the edge.  Put the bonito into a small colander or strainer and let it sit in the simmering water for 5 minutes.  During that time, you can add the mushrooms to let them rehydrate.  After 5 minutes you can take out the bonito flakes.  Make sure you get all the good broth out of it, so you might want to squeeze it a bit.  Take out the mushrooms and cut into strips and put them back into the broth.  In a small bowl, combine the miso paste with a bit of the broth and whisk to combine. Put it back into the pot.  Cut the tofu into small cubes and add that with the wakame and kale to the pot.  Let simmer (but not boil) and serve when the kale is cooked.

The review:  Miso soup is good.  So this wasn't anything new for us.  The original recipe didn't have tofu, but I just couldn't justify it as real food without it.  So I added it and it was good.  I think it still fit into the guidelines of the cleanse since it doesn't have any of the forbidden elements in it.

Sunday

Breakfast:  Awesome Energy Smoothie
Ingredients
1/4 cup almond butter
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 cup organic almond milk
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 cup organic frozen peaches
1 banana
1 teaspoon agave syrup
1/2 cup ice

Blend together and enjoy.

The review:  The banana provided a new flavor that was really good.  I will make this again just to have as a breakfast treat, regardless of whether I need to detox or not.

That's it.  We had a rather important football game to watch starting in the early afternoon and we didn't really feel like torturing ourselves by watching football with friends and not eating football food so that was the end of the experiment.  We didn't dive right in and eat like crap, but that first tortilla chip I ate was amazing.

I'll write another post with my final thoughts about the cleanse in the next few days.  I have a lot of thoughts and I don't feel like writing them all down now.  For now, I'm going to go into the kitchen and eat whatever I want.  Yes...

Sorry for the lack of pictures, I just didn't have the energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...