Sunday, April 1, 2012

Surprise! It's April!

Whether the weather has convinced you otherwise, it is supposed to be spring out there.  The cherry blossoms and magnolias are out, the crocuses and daffodils have been around for weeks, and the tulips are not far behind despite the terrible cold that is hangin' around these parts.  Last year, March 19th was the day I declared it was officially spring and put on a t-shirt and went outside.

Today I realized it was April.  That not only means Shawn and I can start celebrating our birth month by eating cake today, but it's about time I get started on my gardening for the season.  Though I am still very unsure about my gardening prospects for the summer, I decided to go ahead as if I have awesome garden space and hope that it all works out.

Giggle.
So I donned my heavy coat and gardening gloves and told myself it wasn't that cold outside (my frozen hands and feet were not convinced) and planted some seeds.  Into pots went heirloom tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, various squashes, radishes, and broccoli.  I'm also trying artichoke again, but I'm not putting any money on 'em.  I have yet to acquire seeds for beets, lettuce, and onions, and will have to wait to plant beans and peas until I have the space to do so.  (I really hope that space comes soon...)  I guess I also have to restart my sunchoke garden and also get seed potatoes one of these days.  But those have to wait also.

I hope they stay warm.
The ladies got a handful of beet leaves today which they snarfed down in no time, leaving their beaks a nice rosy color.  Ah spring... beautiful, even in the bitter cold.  And man, there's nothing like that first date with the dirt to really soothe your cabin-fevered soul.

Beet leaf buffet.
Hey, I think you have some beet blood on your beak...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...