Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sourdough Success!

Ever since I wrote about my first try at sourdough a couple weeks ago, I've been nursing my starter on the kitchen counter.  I've made flapjacks and another loaf since then and both have been delicious, but definitely not sour.

I was adding some flour and warm water to the starter everyday for about a week, and then for the last week I've only been adding new stuff and stirring it every 2-3 days.  The result?  It's definitely getting sour.  There are more bubbles forming at the top (evidence of natural yeast formation,) and it just smells stronger.

Oh yeah, baby.  Sour.  Still kinda gross when you really think about, but I'm willing to deal for deliciousness.

I should've waited a little longer for more sourness to form, but I couldn't so I made a loaf yesterday.

Dear readers, I'd like to present to you, my first legit loaf of sourdough bread!

So soft, and sour.  And delicious.  It's almost all gone.  Don't make it unless you're ok with gorging on carbs for a day.  It's impossible not to eat it all.  In fact, it's a sin not to eat it all.  There are few things on this earth that can bring pure happiness and joy than a fresh baked loaf of bread.  And this one is fantastic. 

I'm going to tell you the recipe now.  Just remember I warned you.  Don't come back to me complaining of a bellyache because you had to eat it all in one day.  If anything you should thank me for enlightening you to this keeper of a recipe.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sourdough starter
3/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 cup bread flour

Mix all ingredients except the flour in a bowl.  Add flour one cup at a time.  Add enough to form the dough into a sticky ball.  Knead for a few minutes then put it back into the bowl with some oil, cover, and let rise overnight.  This is key, people, gotta give it time to rise since no extra yeast has been added. Next morning, knead the dough for 5-10 minutes.  Form into a loaf shape and drop it into a greased 9x5 loaf pan.  Let rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for  30-35 minutes or until the top is brown.  Eat it all with your favorite jam.

You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...