Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sunday Harvest

Alrighty folks, I'm going to challenge myself.  Every Sunday, until the end of the growing season, I'm going to see if I can write a post about my harvests for the past week.  Things are really starting to look good in my garden, and I hope to use this as a garden journal of sorts, that I can refer back to next year.

Here we go.

Picked lots of peas today.  They were flowering last week and I had it in the back of my mind that they would be ready soon.  I forgot about them until a few days ago when Shawn noticed them with his usual "holy shit!" as we were building the chicken coop.  I have to admit, they grew fast.  So I picked them today.  I definitely snacked as I picked, one in my mouth, 5 in the basket...

The lettuce has been going strong for several weeks now, so a lot of sandwiches are being eaten around here.  I picked a whole head today.  The chickens get some everyday.  They're not complaining.  The babies still don't know about it yet.

Here is the official Sunday Harvest picture for this week:

Green is my favorite color.
In other news, I realized that in my homesteading hundred list (to the right), I wrote that I want to go the whole summer without buying vegetables.  I forgot about this and bought some at the grocery store yesterday.  But that will be my second challenge for the summer.  No more grocery store fresh vegetables.  Fruit doesn't count.  We'll see what happens.  I have no idea if I have enough vegetables planted (both quantity and variety) so I may break down and buy some at some point.  I'm gonna try though.  We'll see how quickly I get sick of peas.  I already know this is going to be hard...

(apparently, I'm in a short sentence kind of mood today.)

1 comment:

  1. that is the most beautiful lettuce i've ever seen! i joined a CSA (about 8 miles from my house)--thought you would be proud. can't wait to put down roots (ha) and grow my own someday though! you are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...