Thursday, January 6, 2011

I heart carbs.

Since my cheese-making jaunt, I've been cookin' like a crazy lady trying to use up all the whey that was leftover.  So far, I've made baguettes, pizza crust, butternut squash soup, cream of wheat, pancakes, and now... Cheesy Jalapeno Bread!!!!  I got the recipe from my homesteading "bible" that I wrote about a couple months ago.

What's in it:
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup corn meal
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 Tbs sugar
1/4 cup butter (softened)
1 egg
1 cup whey
1 cup shredded cheese (I used colby jack and mozzarella.)
1/2 cup chopped jalapenos (not fresh, the kind in the jar.)

What to do with this stuff:
Sift together the flour, corn meal, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar.  Cut in the half stick of butter until well combined.  Add the shredded cheese and toss together.  Beat the egg slightly and add to the whey and pour mixture into the dry ingredients.  Mix till just combined and fold in jalapenos.  Pour the batter into a loaf pan and toss into a 375 degree oven for about 35 minutes or until skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Let it sit in the pan for about 10 minutes then let cool on a wire rack.  Be prepared to be blown away!  Drizzle some honey on your slice and oh boy!!!  It's like southwestern cornbread but whey better!!!

Yum yum yummy-o.
8 cups of whey down, 4 more to go.  I'll probably make this bread again.  mmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...