In the old place, we had a corner of our yard that had a concrete wall that was perfect for a compost pile. It was pretty big, and made it really easy to just toss whatever we needed composted into the corner. It was accessible to the ladies to turn it while looking for worms, which made it a pretty good system.
Unfortunately, the new place has no such corner. So we had to build a compost bin. We though about buying one, but they're pretty expensive.
We started with a piece of grape stake fencing that we originally picked up as possible material to build the coop. It was pretty old and rotten on the edges, so we cut off the ends of the vertical slats down to the 2x4 cross pieces. This got rid of the rotten parts while maintaining stability.
|Brackets, random pieces of plywood, nails, screws...|
|We really just slapped it together. It's pretty rickety. I wouldn't trust the stability even for a doghouse.|
|And what happened right after we poured it? The cats walked in it of course!!!|
|This was a few weeks ago. It's way fuller now.|
So there you go. Who knows how long the actual bin will last, but for now we have a place to put all the chicken crap, garden garbage, and food scraps. We've been watering it down every few weeks to maintain moisture and promote decomposition, and we'll probably turn it here soon to see how things are looking towards the bottom. I'm happy to say that all the materials that went into the construction of this bin was stuff we had lying around so basically we got a compost bin for free, plus some elbow grease. Oh wait, we did have to buy the concrete. So we got a compost bin for $15 plus some elbow grease. Still a good deal.